Working out solo can get lonely. Not to mention, it’s a little too easy to skip the gym when you’re not feeling motivated! However, having a workout buddy by your side will help you stick with your fitness goals and make exercise much more enjoyable.
If you’ve made it a goal to get more active this year, you might want to consider finding a workout buddy to help you stay on track. Keep on reading for some awesome benefits of a workout partner, and some advice for finding one!
Benefits of a workout buddy:
More fun. This might be the most obvious benefit. Working out with a buddy is definitely more fun! You’ll have someone to encourage you, laugh with you, and help boost your confidence. The more fun your workouts are, the more you’ll actually look forward to them!
Good ol’ competition. Sometimes there’s no better motivator than a bit of friendly competition. For example, running side by side with your workout partner might keep you running faster and longer in an effort to keep up. The friendly competition from your workout buddy can help you perform better and put in more effort.
Someone to talk to. Working out with a buddy can double as a therapy session! Having someone to exercise with and talk to about your fitness journey can help you de-stress even more than you would from a solo trip to the gym. Plus, having someone to chat and laugh with at the gym will make the minutes fly by!
It’s safer. Whether you’re hitting the gym or an outdoor running trail, it’s always safer to workout with a buddy. Workout partners can spot you while lifting, assist you with your form, and prevent you from being alone in any potentially dangerous situations.
More variety. Having a workout partner is an excellent way to discover different fitness classes and exercises. Sometimes it can be difficult to venture off on your own and try out unfamiliar machines or sign up for a new fitness class. Having someone with different fitness experiences by your side will help add some exciting variety to your normal exercise routine.
You’ll actually show up. A workout buddy will hold you accountable – meaning you’ll be more committed to your fitness goals and schedule. If you know your friend is already at the gym or fitness class waiting for you, you’ll be a lot less likely to ditch on plans because you won’t want to disappoint them.
What to look for in a workout buddy:
To reap all of the benefits of a workout buddy, you’ll want to make sure you find a partner that will help you reach your goals. Look for some of these traits in a potential workout buddy:
- Optimism. A good attitude goes a long way! Ditch any workout partner that complains or brings your spirits down. Look for someone who hypes you up before and during a workout and helps you stay positive.
- Similar goals. To make the most out of your partnership, you’ll want to buddy up with someone who shares similar fitness goals as you. This will make it easier to adopt a similar workout plan that will benefit both of you.
- Compatible schedules. Even if you found someone with the above traits, but your schedules conflict, it’s not going to work. Find someone that is able to workout around the same time as you every day.
Not sure where to find a workout buddy?
If you don’t have any friends or family members that would be a compatible workout partner for you, here are some ways to find a workout buddy:
- Find a co-worker. Chances are, there’s at least one co-worker at your workplace that has similar fitness goals as you. If you notice that one of your colleagues seems to have an interest in health or fitness, ask them about it! You might have more in common than you think.
- Ask a trainer. Ask a personal trainer, coach, or fitness professional at your gym if they know of anyone looking for a workout buddy. A trainer might even be able to match you up with someone who has the same goals and schedule as you.
- Use an app or website. There’s truly an app for everything! Some examples include ZogSports, WorkoutBuddies, Meetup, or FitLink.
- Join a group fitness class. Fitness classes are one of the best places to get friendly with someone who has similar goals and schedule as you. Join a class and make some friends!
Sometimes it can be really difficult to find the motivation to workout. But having a dedicated workout buddy by your side will help keep you motivated to achieve your fitness goals. Find a workout buddy that will help you become more active this year!
Do you prefer to workout solo or with a buddy? Let us know below!
Like this blog post? Share it with your employees or co-workers with this printable version of the blog!
Image created by Javi_indy - Freepik.com