We find that one of the easiest ways to keep employees engaged in your health and wellness program is through constant communication. One of our favorite internal tools for keeping your staff involved is the company newsletter. Consider adding a space each month for one or two health and wellness tips that are targeted for your population.
Need suggestions for tips to share? Here are a few of our favorites:
- Go chat with your co-workers instead of sending an email.
- Eat a nutritious breakfast every single morning.
- For every hour of work you do, take a 5-minute break away from your desk.
- Wipe down your keyboard, phone and mouse once a week.
- Create a meal plan. Packing a lunch saves money and calories!
- Put some inspirational quotes/photos in your workspace to stay motivated!
- Wash your hands after using shared spaces like the break room or bathroom.
- Work out at your desk! Try shoulder shrugs, arm swings and knee raises.
- Park further away from the office to get a brisk walk in before and after work.
- Get some fresh air – go for a lap or two around the building during your break.
- Snack right. Bring almonds, fresh fruit or chopped veggies to work.
- Keep your work area clean and organized to relief stress and prevent germs!
When coming up with your own health and wellness tips and initiatives, remember to go beyond the typical exercise and nutrition genres. Keep in mind that health is about body, mind and spirit. Incorporate advice about how to relieve stress, keeping a positive work/life balance, getting enough sleep, laughing and bonding with coworkers.
These tips will work best when you target them to your specific employee population. Do you have a cubicle-centered workforce? Focus on tips that make them more active at their desk. Do you often have catered lunches? Emphasize portion sizes and healthy snacking. Do you offer a robust wellness program? Highlight screening events and perks of the program they may not know about.
Download a full list of over 65 health tips you can use in your employee newsletter here.